Barking with The Beat – Holiday Safety

 

At 417 Pet Sitting and 92.9 The Beat, we want the best for you AND your pets this holiday season; following these helpful hints will help keep pets out of danger, while still enjoying the food, fun, and festivities that accompany the holidays.

Let’s start by not being a turkey.  Holiday treats, such as rich, fatty scraps, bones from pork and poultry, alcoholic beverages, chocolate, and other sweets and candies can be harmful or toxic to pets. These foods have been linked to pancreatitis in pets. Signs and symptoms of an inflamed pancreas include vomiting and abdominal pain, and severe pancreatitis requires emergency medical care and treatment.

Common holiday pet poisons include plants. Holiday plants that are poisonous to pets include the berries of the mistletoe, holly, hibiscus, Christmas roses, and large poinsettia. Keep these out of your pet’s reach.

Pets and bread dough don’t mix well, especially those pizza crusts.  When bread dough is ingested it continues to expand, causing intestinal blockage which usually requires vet assistance to pass that is not only expensive, but highly invasive with lengthy healing time.

O’ Christmas Tree.  Below it. In it. On top of it. Around it. You name it and the tree poses the possibility of harm to your pets. Pine tree water can be poisonous, so it’s best to use an enclosed tree stand. If that’s not possible, be sure to cover open tree stand bases. The tree should be secure to the wall with strong wire or twine because a toppling tree can cause serious injuries to dogs and cats.

Decorations can be dangerous. Tinsel entices canines and felines alike. Glass ornaments look like shiny fetch balls. Ornaments and hooks, twinkling lights, electrical wiring – they all pose significant danger to pets by ingestion or contact. When no one is around to supervise, unplug lights and any electrical decorations a pet can access. Cover or tack down electrical cords.

Sugar free doesn’t guarantee a happy ending for pets. Xylitol, a sugar substitute, causes a dog’s blood sugar to drop quickly. This poisoning can be treated, but causes liver failure if not treated properly and immediately.

Not all nuts are all they’re cracked up to be. Dogs experience severe weakness in their back legs, appearing paralyzed, after ingesting macadamia nuts. Dogs usually recover from this condition within three days.

417 Pet Sitting wants to help keep your pets safe this holiday season and beyond.  We suggest following these seven tips for the holidays.  For more information about pet safety or in-home pet sitting go to 417PetSitting.com.

Happy Holidays from our family to yours!

shutterstock_524709328